Tuesday, May 8, 2012

So it's been a while.  I realize this.  Now that that's been said, let's get to the real deal.

I love my friends.  I am passionate about my friends.

In high school, my best friend and I were inseparable.  For real. A large factor of this was because he didn't have a car so we just rode around together everywhere listening to Fergie's "My Humps".  Our afternoons were spent on a practice field yelling at weird high schoolers to shut up during rehearsal and pretending that we hadn't snuck off right after school to buy us each a double cheeseburger and large fry from McDonald's (no onions).  At night we would study for AP History...and by study I mean we would choreograph dances to Cher's "Turn Back Time" and then watch High School Musical.  At Christmas time, we would decorate my house with Christmas lights until it looked like Clark Griswold's house on crack.  Every year on my birthday, we would go to Miyabi and eat so much food that we would have to unbutton the top button on our too-tight jeans because they were cutting off our circulation due to the 5 pound mound of rice combined with white sauce that we had eaten.  We would call each other every night at midnight and watch America's Funniest Home Videos together and laugh until we peed our pants.....but he would usually laugh and pee his pants around five seconds after I did because his cable was delayed.
When I had heart surgery, he called me every day in the hospital to check on me and make me laugh...and make sure I was still alive.  When I had awkward high school guy trouble and felt weird and out of place, he told me that I was beautiful. He was the best date to the prom that anybody could have.  He always made sure to tell me that he loved me.

My best friend is gay.  He loves men.  One gorgeous hunk of a man, in fact.  Tonight an Amendment was passed that said that he could not marry that hunk of a man that he loves.  Now let's get this straight.  I am not writing this blog to preach.  God knows that's the last thing I want to do.  I am writing this blog to simply shout out loud that I support my best friend.  I support his lifestyle.  I support his love.  And I refuse to remain silent about it.  I was fortunate enough to be raised in a family that taught love; who accepted everyone's differences: black, white, gay, straight, red, yellow, blue, green, big, little, cray cray, or normal.
I've never planned on having a flock of youngins, but I do look forward to the day when our children's generation can look back on this time and realize how far they've come.  I hope they can see that we were brave, that we  fought for our friends; not just for gay rights, but for HUMAN RIGHTS!
As I tearfully texted one of my best friends tonight who just so happens to be gay, telling him how sorry I was, he responded with such courage, "Dry those tears, girl.  This is just more motivation."  We're going to win, y'all.  It's time!

1 comment:

  1. This gave me chill bumps when I read it. I completely agree with you. I get so frustrated with people who pick and choose what they are going to believe/support from the Bible. People so readily overlook the portions that apply to the way THEY are living their lives, even if it goes against God's word (greed, jealousy, premarital sex, divorce are all against God's word yet they are legal and committed by people (even Christians!) every day). We all live imperfect lifestyles, so to pick and choose which "sins" to accept and which to not is completely ridiculous. Who are we to say that one is more weighty than another. So, like you said LOVE is what we need to be focusing on. It is not our job to judge and condemn.

    ReplyDelete